ENGL 147N Week 5 Discussion 2: Source Incorporation & Academic Integrity (Summer 2020)
Initial Post Instructions
Part 1: Research & Review
Pay particular attention to the following as you review the Required Resources for this activity:
- Week 3 Lesson: Building Body Paragraphs section Week 4 Lesson:
- Signal Phrases section Website links.
Then, choose one of the sources you have collected so far this term.
Part 2: Application
Draft a body paragraph for the upcoming pro/con position paper, incorporating one paraphrase and one quote. The paragraph should contain a topic sentence, evidence, and conclusion/connection. Strive for a minimum of 5 complete sentences. The paraphrase should be introduced with a signal phrase. The quote should be introduced and explained. Both the paraphrase and quote should … in-text and on a reference page. Then, answer the following prompts:
- Explain your approach to paraphrasing vs quoting. What made the quote stand out?
- Based on the information from the Turnitin plagiarism link, how did you ensure both the paraphrase and quote were not plagiarized?
- How did reviewing the Turnitin plagiarism link impact how you incorporated your resources? Do you prefer to paraphrase or quote? Why is that the case?
Click on the following Writing Tip link for a review of citations:
Link: Writing Tip
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Offer additional insight into your peers’ responses by furthering the discussion. Identify the signal phrases and how they are … What impact do these have on reading the paragraph? Based on the content and presentation of the resource, can you conclude the argument or position the student is building? Do you see areas of the post that might fall into any categories listed in the Turnitin link? If so, suggest how the student can remedy the situation to avoid potential plagiarism.
Name: Jennifer Lucas
Status: Online ⬤
Classes Taken: 3878