MATH 399N Week 2 Lab Assignment (3 Versions)
- Using Excel
- Shapes of distributions
NOTE: Directions for all labs are given based on Excel 2013 for Windows. If you have another version of Excel, you may need to research how to do the same steps.
Data in Excel
Survey Code Sheet: Do NOT answer these questions. The code sheet just lists the variables name and the question used by the researchers on the survey instrument that produced the data that are included in the Excel data file. This is just information. The first question for the lab is after the code sheet.
- for the variable State. In the Excel file, you can click on
- and then
- and choose
- as the variable on which to sort. Once sorted, you can count how many students…… relative percentages, as well as the cumulative percentages.
- Create a bar chart for the frequency table in Question 1. Select the State variable values. Click on Insert and then click on the arrow on the bottom…… Add an appropriate title and axis label. Copy and paste the graph here.
- Create a pie chart for the variable Car. Select the column with the Car variable, including the title of Car. Click on Insert, and then Recommended Charts. It should show a clustered column and click OK…… Add an appropriate title. Copy and paste the chart here.
- Create a histogram for the variable Height. Use the strategies in the text to create a frequency table of the heights using the categories of 60–64, 65–69, 70–74, and 75–79. It may be helpful to sort the data based on the Height variable first…… In the pop up box, change the Gap Width to 0. Add an appropriate title and axis label. Copy and paste the graph here.
- Create a stem and leaf chart for the variable Money, using only the whole dollar amounts. This must … done by hand, as Excel cannot do this type of chart…… It may be helpful to sort the data based on the Money variable first.
- Calculate descriptive statistics for the variable Height by Gender. Click on Insert and then Pivot Table. Click in the top box and select all the data (including labels) from Height through Gender. Also click on new worksheet and then OK…… Type in the averages below. Then, click on the down arrow next to Height in the Values box again and select Value Field Settings. In the pop up box, click on StdDev then OK. Type the standard deviations below.
Name: Jennifer Lucas
Status: Online ⬤
Classes Taken: 3878
Short Answer Writing Assignment:
- What is the most common color of car for students who participated in this survey? Explain how you arrived at your answer.
- What is seen in the histogram created for the heights of students in this class (include the shape)? Explain your answer.
- What is seen in the stem and leaf plot for the money variable (including the shape)? Explain your answer.
- Compare the mean for the heights of males and the mean for the heights of females in these data. ….. values and explain what can … concluded based on the numbers.
- Compare the standard deviation for the heights of males and the standard deviation for the heights of females in the class…. concluded based on the numbers.