MATH 533 Week 1 Homework Problems (Summer 2019)
1. Question: 1.1.13: Suppose you’re given a data set that classifies each of simple unit into one of four categories. A, B, C or D. you plan to create a computer database consisting of these data and you decide to code the data as A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, and D = 4. Are the data consisting of the classifications A, B, C, and D qualitative or quantitative? After the data are input 1, 2, 3, and 4 are they qualitative or quantitative?
2. Question: 1.1.21: A company tracked all credit card purchases during the year 2005 and measures two variables (1) the type of credit card used (VISA, Master Card or American Express and (2) te amount (in dollars) of each purchase.
3. Question: 2.1.1: Complete the table to the right
4. Question: 2.1.6: In one university, language professors incorporated a 10-week extensive reading program to improve students’ Japanese reading comprehension. The professors collected 263 books originally written for Japanese children and required their students to read at least 40 of them as part of the grade in the course. The books were … into reading levels color-coded for easy selection) according to length and complexity. Complete parts a through c.
5. Question: 2.2.20: Consider the stem-and-leaf display to the right
- How many observations were in the original data set?
- In the bottom row of the stem-and-leaf display, identify the stem, the leaves, and the numbers in the original data set represented by this stem and its leaves.
- Re-create all the numbers in the data set and construct a dot plot.
6. Question: 2.2.21: MINITAB was … to generate the histogram to the right.
- Is this a frequency histogram or a relative frequency histogram.
- How many measurement classes were … in the construction of this histogram?
- How many measurements are in the data set described by this histogram?
7. Question: 2.3.39: Calculate the mean, median, and mode of the following data
14 14 10 18 2 18 16 18 15 19 13
8. Question: 2.4.57: Calculate the range, variance, and standard deviation for the following sample.
7, -3, 1, 8, 5, 6, 6, 1, 8, 8
Name: Jennifer Lucas
Status: Online ⬤
Classes Taken: 3878