DeVry ETHC 445 Week 2 Assignment
Week 2 Assignment: Paper or Presentation – Ethical Dilemma Analysis (Groups)
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
• Textbook: Chapter 3, 4, 12 (section: “The Medieval Period”)
• Minimum of 2 scholarly sources
Review the following ethical dilemmas:
1. A newspaper columnist signs a contract with a newspaper chain. Several months later, she is offered a position with another newspaper chain, offering a higher salary. Because she would prefer making more money, she notifies the first chain that she is breaking her contract. The courts will decide the legality of her action, but what of the morality? Did the columnist behave ethically?
2. An airline pilot receives his regular medical checkup. The doctor discovers that he has developed a heart murmur. The pilot only has a month to go before he is eligible for retirement. The doctor knows this and wonders whether, under these unusual circumstances, she is justified in withholding information from the company regarding the pilot’s condition.
3. An office worker has had a record of frequent absence. He has used all his vacation and sick-leave days, and has frequently requested additional leave without pay. His supervisor and co-workers have expressed great frustration because his absenteeism has caused bottlenecks in paperwork, created low morale in the office, and required others to do his work in addition to their own. However, the individual believes he is entitled to take his earned time and additional time off without pay. Is he right?
4. Rhonda enjoys socializing with fellow employees at work, but their discussions usually consist of gossiping about other people, including several of her friends. At first, Rhonda feels uncomfortable talking in this way about people with whom she has a close relationship; but then she decides it does no real harm, and she feels no remorse for joining in.
Wait.... Hire Me To Get 100% Original Help In . With No Upfront Fees. Watch The Video Below For More Information & How It Works!
Name: Jennifer Lucas
Status: Online ⬤
Classes Taken: 3878
This is a group activity. Your instructor will assign your group at the beginning of the week. You may wish to meet throughout the week to share ideas. Collaborate with your team, using email, phone meetings, or any collaboration tool you find useful or prefer.
Use the resources assigned for this week and additional research to decide which ethical dilemma you believe is most problematic and why. Address the following:
• Apply the ideas of “good vs. evil,” “wrong vs. right,” and “ought/should be vs. what is.”
• Determine the ways in which Augustine and Aquinas would have solved the problem. In what ways do Augustine and Aquinas differ and why?
Present your finding as individuals and as a team in one of the following ways:
• A written report
• An oral presentation (using VoiceThread or a PowerPoint narrated slide show)
Writing Requirements (APA format)
• Length: 2-3 pages (not including title page or references page)
• 1-inch margins
• Double spaced
• 12-point Times New Roman font
• Title page
• References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources)
• Length: 2-3 minutes