DeVry ETHC 445 Week 6 Assignment
Week 6 Assignment: Memo – You Decide
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
• Textbook: Chapter 8; review previous chapters
• Link (file): Memo Template
• You Decide (See page in Week 6)
• Minimum of 2 scholarly sources
This assignment presents a difficult and painful medical dilemma, with you in an imagined professional role. Go through the You Decide scenario and make the decision it calls for. Then, compose an official memorandum that will be kept for the record and could potentially be read not only by your Peer Review Committee but also by those involved in charitable fundraising, which supports hospital development, as well as by others with financial interests in the decision.
Name: Jennifer Lucas
Status: Online ⬤
Classes Taken: 3878
In the memo (use the Memo Template), explain your decision and your reasoning for it. Include the following:
• Who benefits from what you decided? Explain why.
• Who gets denied a needed benefit? Explain why.
You will see notice that there is time pressure in the simulated situation, so remember that you would not have the luxury to dawdle in the decision-making process, and as the decision maker, you would not have the luxury of consulting a broad spectrum of advisors. It falls on you to decide!
Include in the memo the utilitarian ethical philosophy of John Stuart Mill (from the lesson last week) and one other ethical philosopher of your choosing that we have studied to date. Use both of those philosophies to bolster your decision.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
• Length: 2-3 pages (not including title page or references page)
• 1-inch margins
• Double spaced
• 12-point Times New Roman font
• Title page
• References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources)