DeVry HSM 310 Week 2 Course Project
DeVry HSM 310 Week 2 Course Project
Your Course Project is a comparative analysis of the U.S. healthcare system against that of another country of your choice. In a small group assigned by the professor, you will collaborate to create a digital project that involves a submitted paper and a narrative/video presentation to demonstrate your understanding of the project. Your professor will divide you up into teams of 3-4 students. Research what country you wish to choose for your Course Project in order to write your comparative analysis of its healthcare system against the United States’. You will be identifying healthcare business problems, often termed opportunities for improvement, in your selected country.
These are important challenges for the national healthcare system, areas which need to be addressed for enhancement of community health. Some of these business problems will include:
1. Poverty: National Income Per Capita
2. Life Expectancy: Life Expectancy at Birth
3. Childhood Mortality: Probability of Dying Before Age 5
4. Early Mortality: Probability of Dying Before Age 60
5. Healthcare Spending: Expenditures on Health Per Capita
6. Healthcare Spending: Expenditures on Health as a Percentage of Gross Domestic Product
7. Efficiency: Overall Healthcare Efficiency as Determined by World Health Organization Model
Some examples of evolving issues in the healthcare industry include, but are not limited to:
• Health Literacy Deficiencies
• Pharmaceutical Expenditures
• Shortage of Physicians – Density per 1000 Population
• Shortage of Nurses – Density per 1000 Population
• Cancer Rates – Cases per 1000 Population
• Acute Myocardial Infarction Rates – Cases per 1000 Population
• Pediatric Asthma Rates – Cases per 1000 Population
Make sure that you are able to find adequate references for your project (i.e., a minimum of four scholarly or primary source references). You will have regular team meetings throughout the session, and The Final Course Project will be due in Week 7. This will consist of a paper, and a group presentation utilizing PowerPoint or Prezi, and must include audio. All members of the group must present part of the project. Your group may choose to use another presentation software, but it must be approved by the professor. Make sure you are able to find at least four primary sources with enough information meeting the requirements in both length and comparing key indicators of the U.S. healthcare system to your chosen country’s healthcare system.
Primary sources include:
• The World Health Organization;
• National Institutes of Health;
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
• Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development;
o The OECD has a comprehensive database of healthcare statistics (also in Files) for 30 different countries, including the United States. This document has 1,200 different data series, with a time series from 1960 to 2008. It is used by the World Health Organization, the United States, and other OECD participants, as well as the entire world, in order to determine what may be the most efficient and effective way to deliver healthcare. (For assessing healthcare efficiency, http://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf (Links to an external site.) will be helpful.) The OECD HCQI data will show where these 30 developed countries are in regards to healthcare services and which of these countries are making progress improvements. Source: OECD Data, 2005/2009. Note: You may choose any other country outside of the 30 in the spreadsheet as long as you are able to find quality references.
Do not hesitate to also search for “Ministry of Health” + “name of your nation” to find the best and most current material for your project, or check out your chosen country’s national healthcare website in addition to government websites to help supplement your primary sources.
Assignment Points %
Course Project Proposal
(Week 2) 20 7.5%
Course Project Outline
(Week 5) 20 7.5%
Course Project Presentation
(Week 7) 50 19%
Course Project Paper
(Week 7) 100 39%
Course Project Peer Review
(Week 7) 70 27%
Total 260 100%
Country Selection: Week 2 (20 points)
Once teams are a setup and meetings begin to occur, please be sure to discuss with your team the proper forms of communication to be utilized as you create your paper and your presentation.
Utilizing an online collaboration tool, such as Cisco Spark, Google Hangout, Skype, etc. meet with your team and discuss which country you will use for your Course Project. One member of the group will submit a Word document with the names of all of the group members, the name of the country that you’ve chosen, and a screen shot of whichever online collaboration tool you are using that proves all members were part of the discussion and decision-making process.
Outline: Week 5 (20 points)
One member of the group will submit a Word document with the names of all of the group members, a content outline indicating how you plan to address key elements of the project, and a screen shot of whichever online collaboration tool you are using that proves all members were part of the discussion and decision making process. The more that you have completed for your paper at this point, the better things will be for you. You want to have formalized your topics and organized them with main points of interest.
Title Page Introduction Body of Paper Topic Heading Subtopic 1 Content 1 Content 2 Content 3 Topic Heading Subtopic 2 Content 1 Content 2 Content 3 . . . and so on Conclusion Bibliography: References
Review the Course Project guide (template) (Links to an external site.) for additional help. It is only a guide; you do not have to write your paper verbatim from the outline in the guide. Reviewing it will help you formulate your own Course Project paper outline and guide you in your research. An outline is very important because it helps you to organize research topics and write your paper. It also helps the flow of your paper (i.e., transitions from one subtitle topic to the next).
The outline will help you create the narrative for your Presentation (due in Week 7) and should include what you will potentially cover and the references you intend to use.
Please indicate which team member(s) are responsible for:
• Submitting the Name of the Nation Being Compared with the United States
• Submitting the Course Project Outline
• Course Project Writing
• Preparation of Graphics
• Preparation of References
• Quality Assurance Check – Proofing prior to Submission
• Preparation of Presentation
• Recording of Narration for Presentation
Paper: Week 7 (100 points)
The project requirement is a 6 to 10-page paper. Note that 6-10 pages means 6-10 pages of double-spaced written material with 1-inch margins on the left, right, top, and bottom and a 12-point font. The cover sheet, table of contents, index, pictures, long quotations, or multiple quotations, will not count toward the 6-10 pages. APA format is required. When submitting your paper, please use the following file name style: HSM310Project_InitialLastName.doc. So if your name is John Smith, the name of the file will be HSM310Project_JSmith.docx.
Before submitting your final draft, you need to do a spelling and grammar check, and check for any content errors.
Make sure to check that:
• Your introduction is concise and clear and reflects the paper’s content;
• Topics and subtopics transition well throughout each section of your paper;
• All concepts, quotes, numbers, statistics, graphs, and graphics are properly cited;
• Each citation has a reference listed in the bibliography;
• The conclusion is consistent with the paper’s content; and
• The title page, paper, in-paragraph citations, and reference page are all in the APA formatting style.